Well I just got back from the Reba and Kelly Clarkson concert while all though it was a lot fun to go with my mom but all along I was hopeing that this one song in particular would not be played. The Greatest Man I Never Knew. Ever since the song came out in the early 90's I turn it off and if I am unable to turn it off I end up in tears.
When I was younger my grandpa was my super hero, I could almost do now wrong when he was around I was his sweet pea. I remeber as a young kid helping at the cattle ranch our family owned and bottle feeding the young calfs. Just the thought of him dying scared me more than anything. I use to be able to only fall asleep because he had the magic arm corny I know. Well one night I was about 5 years old I asked him What would I do If you ever died. He told me he couldn't ever die and that he would jump out of the casket and slap my grannie for putting him there and take me away. Then he promised. Well you and I both know that death really doesn't work like that but being only 5 years old I believed him.
January 17, 1992 I was sitting in a school asembly being good and trying not to talk a lot. My teacher comes and gets me... thinking I was in trouble I followed her to the hallway. Only to find my mom there white as ghost and crying. Earlier that morning my grandfather had a heart attack and living in the country so far away from the main hospital, he died on the way to the main road to the hospital.
I remember yelling at him at his veiwing to get up like he promised I was soooo mad at him. Anyway the night he was burried we were watching TV and Reba came on and sang this song ever since this song has been extreamly hard to listen to.
My grandpa was the greatest man I never got to realy know.
here are the lryics to the song just in case you have never heard it before.
The greatest man I never knew
Lived just down the hall
And everyday we said hello
But never touched at all
He was in his paper
I was in my room
How was I to know he thought I hung the moon
The greatest man I never knew
Came home late every night
He never had too much to say
Too much was on his mind
I never really knew him
And now it seems so sad
Everything he gave to us took all he had
Then the days turned into years
And the memories to black and white
He grew cold like an old winter wind
Blowing across my life
The greatest words I never heardI guess Ill never hear
The man I thought could never die
Sbeen dead almost a year
He was good at business
But there was business left to do
He never said he loved me
Guess he thought I knew
THINGS YOU DONT KNOW
*REBA AND I WERE BORN IN THE SAME HOSPITAL IN MCALESTER OKLAHOMA
*MY FAMILY KNEW HER FAMILY WHEN SHE WAS STILL A TEACHER IN INDIAOLA OK
* SHE TAUGHT MY AUNT HOW TO BARRAL RACE.
COOL HUH?
Saturday, October 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



1 comment:
Wow that is a sad song, but cool about the stuff about Reba.z
Post a Comment