Friday, October 3, 2008

Being Green or OCD??

In 1992, I was in Mrs. Gray's second grade class and we had a big assembly about pollution, the environment and recycling. A few things were burned into my brain from that assembly. The first of those being the lyrics to " this land is your land ,this land is my land" song (I'm not sure of the title obviously). The second is they told us that if we keep throwing away baby diapers and Styrofoam at the rate we were, that pretty soon we'd run out of places to put trash and soon we'd have to put all of our trash in our own backyard. This worried the chubby bucktoothed 2nd grade version of me beyond belief as I pictured my dreams of a swimming pool decaying along with the paper towels and banana peels in my own back yard and this had me all kinds of hysterical.

And the very last thing I remember is those horrifying pictures of ducks, turtles and dolphins who had died because they choked on plastic 6 pack ring holder things. (pictured here, however I did not take this picture) They told us to make sure before we threw those away that we would cut them up into little pieces. I would testify in court that I have never ever ever, for the past 16 years, thrown one of these plastic ring things away without first shredding it. Once I tried and then I pictured Dolly the dolphin getting MY 6 pack ring stuck around her nose... and then dying all because I was lazy. So am I being green or ocd? YOU decide :)

1 comment:

Kerstin said...

you are funny. I like reading your blog it makes me laugh.