Friday, November 28, 2008

Thanksgiving Reflection

I oft times hear that Thanksgiving is essentially a 'mindless' holiday. All we do is eat and watch football and nap and then eat more, right? Perhaps those who think this way are truly missing the point. While I admit I'm not the best a focusing on all the many things I ought to be thankful for, and I also think we should do it every day instead of just today, there is something about gathering with family and letting your heart swell with gratitude for all things big and small you have been blessed with.

Oh, and I have been blessed.

As much pain as I feel at this moment my heart is also overflowing with gratitude.
I am thankful for the Higher Power that pulls me out of bed every morning, throws me into the shower, and buoys me up 24 hours a day. The religion that reminds me, in my deepest, darkest moments of doubt and fear, that there is so much more. That I will see him again. That happiness can be achieved. That hope is within my grasp. That miracles still exist.

More than ever I have realized the importance of good friends. Heavenly Father has taken care of me through the hands of those whom I call my friends. Not only those who I see and interact with on a daily basis, but those of you who have been brave enough to reach out to me. Who have shared your stories and opened your hearts. Your words and love have spanned miles. I have an inbox full of amazing emails from amazing women. The evidence of your impact is everywhere. You keep me from falling apart at work. You go on 'Drink runs' with me even though you don't need one. You offer sincere words of love and hope. You call me out when I'm being impossible. You cradle me when I can't go on. You all are such beautiful people, and I am better off in life having known you.

Modern medicine has saved my life. Skilled doctors and nurses are helping heal my broken body. They have never given up on me or my insane resume of diseases and disorders. I am thankful to be alive.

While this list could go on and on per infinity, these are the things that have been at the forefront of my mind. Truly I don't deserve what I have been given, but I am thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who is so willing and eager to bless my life and the lives of those around me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

wow amanda.this is a new one for you. as long as i have known you, you for the most part stay quite about alot of your own personal issues. i know you have had a bad few months well since may, but eep your chin up things will hopefully work out for this best. know we love you and think of you often.
mike and emily