Thursday, November 20, 2008

Compassion

So earlier today I had a new patient come in to see our NP she was in a zombie, trance like state. She had come in for depression and suicidal thoughts. Now it is hard to imagine what would cause a person to feel that way. But this woman watched someone kill her only child a 15 year old daughter just the day before. It was completely heart breaking. She wasn't a member of the church and I just wanted to just share the gospel with her right then and there, but due to the hospital ethics I am not allowed to. Its just one of those situations where your thinking to your self... "What do I say?"
I walked out of the room and just broke down. I have only done that once before about 5 years ago when one of my patients died and the charge nurse had me sit with her.
So this has just further deepened my point to always be nice to people. You don't know what other people are going through, and most of the time we are so selfish and don't even bother to smile at someone or even give them common curitisy. As human beings we are very compassionate but very cruel at the same time. I just hope who ever reads this makes a point to be nice, and acknowledge others. Sometimes just the slightest sign of compassion can make all the difference in the world.

No comments: